Monday, August 22, 2011

Lost years Chapter 6-Y

Chapter 6. Old lives, Old freinds

The first steps where easy then I stood in the circle that surrouned the solider and then I worried. I had only one foot in I brought the other one in and then there was a beam of light. It came from the sky and struck the warrior in stone. The old stone came to life forming armour on a fleshy body. The rocky hair became smooth and flowed with the strong breeze. The weatherd face became a man who’s lips curled into a smile. The sword lost its yellow and gained a shining sparkeling silver, that gleamed in the sun. The seild in his right hand shown with color depicting a symbol long forgotten. The mans lips moved slowly but his words seemed to flow out “Its been awhile since someone came to die. Come defeat me if you think your strong” He said. “I can’t fight stone” I said. The man lifted up his hand and took his sword cutting into his hand “See, you can cut me” he said he then planted his feet into the ground “Come at me”. I drew Frostbiter “You don’t know what your dealing with” I said. The statue laughed “Then show me little warrior”. “I’m in no mode to be held back” I said. “Course not you whouldn’t be here if you could wait” He snapped. “Hey ladies can you get this over with” Em yelled her voice piercing through the sound of the rushing water. Our feet dashed forward our swords flowing through the air till the clash of steel rang out through the air.

I needed to sleep, wizards need rest. We need it to replenish our spells in our minds. To restablish that trigger in our minds to gather up the energy to cast more spells. Without a good nights sleep we can’t get back our spells. So I was perfectly cappble of falling asleep as soon as we got back to the inn. I weathred todays troubles up the stairs but as I slipped the silky blanket over me to go to sleep the troubles left. My eyelids where the only thing to bear a burden and that was to keep open. As they closed a smile crepted across my face I vaguly heard Alegred say “Hahaha I bet that Rafle kids fighting something right now”.

His blade was heavy, that was a good thing, frostbiter was light, lighter than his that ment I could out speed him. Or atleast I thought I could. This man seemed so fast on his feet so nimble. Our blades locked into each other it was a pushing game now. Most fighters whould push through trying to get past there defense this was a bad idea, see you waste energy when you could just back off or even better deflect it entirely. In a flash I spun my blade sideways and lunged at him. I made contact he let out a grunt. “Ha take that” I said pulling back my blade. The blue steel was comeing out of the mans body when to my utter amazement he grabbed on. “Not so fast” in one great pull the man pulled frostbiter from my hand and gently tossed it away. “No where gonna do this old school” he said dropping his sword. He ran at me his fist raised high to strike. I ducked out of the way triping him. He chaught himself with his hand and spun his legs knocking me on my back. “Take one of these kid” the solider said pounding my face with his fist. “Why are you fighting us” I said trying to block his attack. “You want the crystal you gotta get past me” He said delivering another blow. “LOOK AROUND MAN the forest is dead” I yelled “We don’t have time for this” I stated. “You don’t understand I have to fight you it’s the rules” He said pointing at the base of his statue “On that is the rules I must challenge whoever steps into the circle in a competition. Winner gets to stay on the bridge. Intill the day the gods decided I don’t need to guard this bridge I’m stuck in stone unless I’m in a chalange with someone. They say if I follow the rules I’ll eventually be free” He said. I heard the sound of boots on stone and turned around Em stood in the circle “ALRIGHT then” Em yelled. The man walked over to her and looked down “Uh yes” he said. “I challenge you Mr. Statue man to a competition” She said bravely pointing a finger up at him. “The challenge is simple whoever dies first losses” She said. “I don’t understand” The man said. “Its simple Whoever dies first loses the competition intill then we can do what we want” She said happily. “So I’m free to go” the man said. “That’s the idea” She said “Common Elf we don’t have time to waste” She said Lionday following behind her. “Well then uh I guess I’ll go” The man said. “You could help us” I said to the man. “Thanks but no thanks I think I’m gonna go talk to the gods” he said. The man then jumped high into the sky and he seemed to dissaper. “you comeing or not” Em called. “I’m so confused” I said. Following her.

“Okay Elf where to now” Em said as we followed a trail that had almost dissapered. “The map says where almost here we’ll find the ruins soon” I said looking at the map. “Well we crossed that river” Em said, I knodded. “And then we hit that rock cropping” she said. “Yeah and then there’s the ruins, we should be there” I said. We starred up at the tree “Maybe if we had higher ground” I said. “Thinking the same thing I’ll climb up and tell you what I see” Em said running towards the old oak. It whould take her a while to get up it I thought looking at the ground. The ground was mostly dirt and it had rained recently. The brown mud still lingered and as I starred at the small puddles I realized they wheren’t puddles, they where foot prints. My eyes tracked them they went forward then past the trees down a trail. “Em comeon I found a trail” I said. She jumped down landing near me “What those things there just puddles….oh yep foot prints” She said. “Lion can you sniff the trail for us” I asked the boar. He grunted a yes and stuck his nose into the mudd he snorted a deep one and then he jumped up. He pointed down the trail and started walking down it. We followed it when the steps wheren’t obvious Liondays nose was. Soon we came to a clearing. It held 13 trees. A giant oak that sat in the center and 12 larges pines circleing it. Each pine had some sort of gem in it. The oak held thousands of little green leaves in its wooden hands. On the oak was carved a sign, it was 6 circles that connected in the center. Em Looked puzzled “How we suppose to get in?” she wondered. I began to laugh it was a simple puzzle. Each tree had a different color gem red, blue, yellow, green, purple, orange, black, white, brown, pink a gem that was made of glass and a gem made of stone. On the oaks door was a carving press six gems and the way you shall see. “Great very specific there tree” Em said. “Its simple Em trust me” I said. “Really prove it” She said back. “Okay what where looking for is what makes a forest, Green for the trees” I pressed the emerald green gem it grew warm and slit back a soft click echoed. “Yeah everyone could get that one” she said. “Blue for the water that is the life of the forest and yellow for the sun these to combine to make the green” I said pressing the blue and yellow gems. They both clicked into place just like the green gem. “again even a monkey could do it” She said. “Right so the brown one is for the wood that makes the green stand tall” I said pressing the brown one it clicked as well. “Not that hard” She said. “Yeah its been easy now the real fun begins tell me Em which whould you chose” I said. “Well I’d chose White for light and the red one for the Red woods” She said proudly. I let out a laugh. “Yeah well lets see you do better” She snapped. “Easy its not white because white’s snow which is the death of woods, can’t be black that’s death to, red’s fire which burns down the forest. Pink, purple and orange are all odd men out here not really meaning anything, leaving Stone which the trees roots dig into for support and the clear which is the air which without the trees whould die as well” I said triumphantly the two clicks rang out through the forest as the great oak creaked open its dusty old door. “My gods you did it Elf” Em said amazed “How did you know” she asked. “The riddle here was a song mothers whould sing to there children. The grey stone and the blue river plant the seeds. The yellow sun and cool clear air grow the seeds, and the brown trunks keep the green clouds of plant aloft.” I said being flooded by memories. I stared at the oak for a long time my village was gone the song never would be played again. I don’t know how long it was before Em finaly inturupted my train of thought with “Lets go” but I’m glad she did I didn’t wanna relive my past that I knew I whould never experience again.

The tunnel was dark and roots penetrated the sides of the wall every step. The ground had snags and gaps in almost every step. The dim light of the tourch didn’t show how deep the hole was or how thick that root was. The tunnel became very tiresome after only a short walk. As we walked down the hall Lionday snorted. We spun fast as we could but the silver metal of daggers where already pressed against our cloaks. The assailants where two men and two woman from what I could tell but there could easly be more in the shadows. “Who do you work for” The man behind me said “We work for no one” I said trying to get my hand closer to my sword. “Don’t even think about going for your sword” the man said pressing the dagger in closer to my spine. I pulled my hand back clenching it then pointing to fingers at the man behind me it was a sign. I clenched my fist again and as Lionday took down the man behind me from the shadows i turned to face the rest pulling out frostbiter. As I spun around I was faced with the second greatest shock in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment